Houses in Multiple Occupation

What is a House in Multiple Occupation?

house in multiple occupation is a property rented out by at least 3 people. The three people must not be from 1 'household' (eg a family) but must share facilities like the bathroom and kitchen.

In order to be a HMO the property must be used as the tenants' only or main residence and it should be used solely or mainly to house tenants. Properties let to students and migrant workers will be treated as their only or main residence. There are specific requirements with regard to licensing and this can vary amongst Local Authorities.

What will I need for a House in Multiple Occupation?

If you are renting out a large HMO you must have a licence There are also specific requirements with regard to fire assessments. Please see our Fire/Health & Safety Assessments for further information. 

What can Easton Bevins do?

We are able to provide advice and support as required to ensure that you meet the necessary minimum standards imposed by the Local Authority and also meet the requirements of other statutory regulations (such as the Building Regulations).

We can assist with the licence process and we have worked with numerous landlords to help them achieve this.

Please give us a call at the Bristol Office for further information.

Interested To Find Out More?

Use any of the below contact details to speak with a member of our team in your local area.

  • Bristol - 0117 942 7876
  • Bradley Stoke - 0117 942 7876
  • Cardiff - 02920 108 821
  • Cheltenham - 01242 573 908
  • Newbury - 01635 813 318
  • Swindon - 01793 680 844
  • Salisbury - 01722 617 617